Are you excited by planning and delivering business excellence? Do you love solving complex problems? Do you want to be part of building a high performing team and developing talent for the future?
Campus Living Villages (CLV) aspires to set the global standard in student accommodation. As a business we go beyond providing quality buildings and facilities, working to create exciting communities, learning opportunities and memories for our residents that last a lifetime.
Our Core Values CLV’s goal is to CREATE a culture that we all enjoy working within by following the below values. It is expected for all CLV employees to demonstrate the values listed below on a day to day basis:
Community: Be part of the ONE team and pursue the team goal.
Respect: Be tolerant and accepting of colleagues and customers and don’t manipulate, demean or mistreat people.
Equality: Endeavour to treat everyone the same, regardless of their role.
Accountability: Work hard, work smart and don’t blame others.
Trust: Be forthright, candid and deliver on your promises.
Enthusiasm: Be passionate in what you do and give 100%.
Summary of the Role
The Assistant General Manager will assist the General Manager with the day-to-day operations of the Village with direct responsibility in the areas of facilities, accounting and residence life management. In the absence of Village General Manager, this position is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of the entire Village operations and supervision of all staff.
- Coordinates and evaluates the daily administrative activities of the entire Village.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings.
- Is available after hours and on weekends to address incidents when needed. Serve in on-call rotation with other property staff.
- Provides day-to-day direction of the management team, and assist them in their own personal development.
Ground Lease and Management Agreement
- Administers the assignment process and marketing obligations as outlined in the Ground Lease Agreement.
- Assists GM with administration of additional obligations identified in the Ground Lease Agreement and Management Agreement.
Physical Maintenance of the Facility
- Ensures that the daily curb appeal of the facility is maintained at the highest level.
- Facilitates efficient processing of resident work orders.
- Supervises preventative maintenance programs.
- Recommends and monitors capital improvements programs.
- Solicits bids for various contracts, select appropriate vendors and monitor performance.
Relations with Various University Departments
- Coordinates marketing efforts with the University’s Admissions/Enrollment department and other relevant departments.
- Coordinates marketing efforts by targeting potential groups to be housed.
- Develops relationships across a variety of university departments.
- Seeks out opportunities to be involved in university operations by volunteering to serve on university committees and task forces.
- Assists GM with ensuring compliance with all agreements, leases, and contracts pertaining to the Village.
- Assists GM with overall leadership and direction of the Village in line with business plan.
- Assists GM with the preparation of the vision for the Village and translates this vision to a business plan.
- Assists GM with preparation of a detailed Village business plan (annually) and assist with delivery of business plan financial targets.
- Assists GM with the development of the budget for the Village.
- Understands cash flow forecasting and cash flow management.
- Focuses on day to day management of the Village.
- Assists GM with ensuring that the Village achieves all of its objectives, including performance standards as agreed from time to time with the University and Campus Living Villages.
Asset and Risk management
- Understands capital project funding for the renovation and repairs detailed in the business plan.
- Negotiates service work authorizations and monitor compliance with same, including annual compliance audits.
- Assists GM to establish and maintain a risk and incident log for the Village.
- Maintains a work order system within the Village for all facility- and safety-related matters.
- Supervises lessees to ensure adherence to lease conditions.
- Ensures that the facility is maintained to the highest possible standards (good or excellent).
- Manages refurbishments or major special projects while minimizing impact on the Village residents.
- Ensures that Facilities staff conducts regular inspections of public areas, reporting any damage, misdemeanours or breaches of residence rules and regulations.
- Ensures that all incidents are recorded into the work order system register and completed within the prescribed timeframe.
- Be fully conversant with the fire and emergency evacuation procedures and ensure that all staff and Resident Assistants are trained in this area.
- Ensures that the Occupational Health and Safety procedures and policies are implemented at all levels throughout the Village.
- Supervises the day to day implementation and accurate upkeep of the Village:
- Asset Management Plan
- Risk log and associated process
- Incident log and associated process
Human Resources / Legal
- Assist GM in managing all Village HR issues, including recruitment, training and performance management, and communicate with Corporate HR as needed.
- Be a positive role model for staff at the Village.
- Provide guidance and direction to staff through regularly scheduled monthly meetings addressing:
- Feedback and refocus
- Documentation of sessions
- Conduct performance reviews.
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of all associated legal documentation for the Village, including Management Agreements, Service Work Authorizations, Rental Agreements, etc.
- Proficiency in the use of computers including Microsoft Word, Excel and Project and data base management systems.
- Proficiency in programs utilized within CLV.
- Ability to analyse, interpret and communicate operational information.
- Ability to manage, lead and supervise employees.
- Ability to lead, manage and direct staff and contractors in the operation of their duties.
- 3 years of experience in a leadership role in either university accommodation, hospitality or retail environment with a demonstrated track record of developing a team and delivering against objectives. (desired)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, preferably in hotel or hospitality management, business management or higher education administration, or student personnel.
This Position Description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities. Campus Living Villages reserves the right to change this description at its discretion.